These moist chocolate cupcakes are rich and packed with the most intense chocolate flavor. Topped with a silky chocolate frosting and chocolate sprinkles, they’re extra chocolatey and every last bite is truly delicious!
This post is sponsored by Lifeway Kefir. As always, all thoughts and opinions are 100% my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that help make Taste of Genevieve possible!
The Cupcake Details
The process is nothing fancy here. Just mix the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients and simply bake the cupcakes in a cupcake pan. Just a couple of mixing bowls needed – nothing complicated!
Tips for Making the Best Chocolate Cupcakes
- Properly measure your flour (spoon into the cup measure, then level)
- Make sure your ingredients are at room temperature to help them mix together better.
- Don’t over-mix your batter, stir the batter until the flour is just incorporated.
- Use Kefir to ensure your cupcakes have great flavor and bake up nice and tender!
- Refrigerate the frosting for at least 30 minutes. When you first make the frosting it should be a pudding-like consistency. Allowing it to firm up in the fridge creates the most delectable texture. The frosting should be thick but soft enough to easily spread with a spatula
- Don’t frost before giving the mixture proper time to firm up in the refrigerator.
How to store the cupcakes
I basically ate these cupcakes for breakfast, dessert and everything in between until they were gone (oops!!). There was zero chance any of it was bound for the freezer to save for a rainy day. If you’re like me and plan to devour the cupcakes in a day or two, keep them tightly covered with plastic wrap in the refrigerator.
I just know you’re going to love them! Happy baking!
- 1 cup of all purpose flour
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup dutch process cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup Lifeway Plain Kefir
- ½ cup hot coffee
- ½ cup butter
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate
- 2 tbsp light corn syrup
- ¼ cup Lifeway Plain Kefir
- ½ cup Sour Cream
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Chocolate Sprinkles for decorating
- Preheat oven to 350F and line two cupcake pans with liners (makes 15 cupcakes total)
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, sugars, baking powder, cocoa, and salt.
- In a separate small mixing bowl, mix together the wet ingredients – oil, eggs, vanilla, and Lifeway Kefir.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir to combine.
- When the mixture begins to come together, slowly pour the hot coffee and mix until smooth.
- Distribute the batter into the cupcake tins and bake for 15 minutes until the toothpick comes out clean after inserting into the center.
- Remove the cupcakes from the pan after 10 minutes to cool further and allow to cool completely before frosting.
For the Chocolate Frosting
- In a large bowl, use a hand mixer to mix the butter and sugar until smooth.
- In a separate small bowl, heat up the chocolate and corn syrup in the microwave in 30 second intervals.
- In another small bowl, microwave the Kefir and sour cream in a microwave-proof container for 30 seconds. Mix this into the warm chocolate and stir to combine well. Add vanilla extract.
- Slowly pour the chocolate mixture into the mixing bowl with the butter/powdered sugar and mix to combine.
- Place the bowl into the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes so that the frosting can firm up a bit.
- Once the cupcakes have completely cooled, frost and top with chocolate sprinkles. Enjoy!
If you make this recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment, send me a photo, rate it and don’t forget to tag me @taste_of_genevieve on Instagram. I’d love to see what’s cooking up in your kitchen. Cheers!