The best blueberry muffins you’ll ever have! These muffins are soft and fluffy, bursting with fresh, juicy blueberries. Serve warm fresh from the oven.
This post is brought to you in partnership with my friends over at Lifeway Kefir. All thoughts and opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that help make Taste of Genevieve possible.
It’s been a minute since I’ve had a new muffin on my blog and I could not be more excited to share this recipe for these bakery style blueberry muffins with you. One look at these beauties and I think you can tell there’s a lot to love! We’re talking a buttery, soft, tender crumb packed full of fresh, sweet blueberries and complete with a jumbo muffin top topped with turbinado sugar. Ummm, h e l l o ! These muffins have it all and then some!
After a little trip to the DC Dupont farmer’s market I ended up with a LOT of blueberries. They were plump, juicy and perfectly sweet. And they were destined for blueberry muffins! Muffins are my favorite way to start the day. They’re perfect for weekday mornings on the go and even better to enjoy with a cup of coffee on a slow weekend morning.These muffins are nothing short of amazing. Plus you can whip up a batch on Sunday and enjoy the muffins all week long. And the best part is you never have to change out of your pajamas. #Winning!
Ingredients for Blueberry Muffins
These bakery style blueberry muffins come together easily with just a few basic ingredients. You can break out the big mixer or just use a couple of bowls and a whisk. Either way, these muffins bake up perfectly every time. Here are a few ingredients you will need to make these best ever muffins:
- Baking Soda
- Lifeway Kefir (Plain)
- Almond Extract
This recipe uses Lifeway Kefir which is a tart and tangy cultured milk smoothie that is high in protein, calcium and vitamin D. This product is perfect to use in baking – especially as a replacement for sour cream, greek yogurt, or milk! Best part? It’s healthy and delicious!
If you love a good muffin top as much as I do, try these tips and tricks and watch your muffins come together perfectly in the oven every time.
- Do not over mix the batter. Less is more when it comes to mixing any kind of cake (muffins, cupcakes, regular cake) batter. Avoid stirring the mixture too much or you will risk over-working the glutens in the flour which results in dense, gummy muffins.
- Fill the liners completely full. I use a giant ice cream scoop to do this.
- No peaking! I know it’s tempting but use your oven light. Keep the oven door closed until the end of the baking cycle when it’s time to test for doneness.
- Do not over bake. It takes just an extra minute or two in the oven for muffins to go from soft and tender to dry and crumbly. No one wants a dry muffin!!! A toothpick inserted into the top of the muffin should come out clean or with just a few crumbs remaining.
- 2 1/2 cups (320g) all purpose flour
- 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (50g) light brown sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups (280g) fresh blueberries, plus more for sprinkling on top
- 1/4 cup (55g) salted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup (50g) vegetable or canola oil
- 2 large eggs, room temp
- 3/4 cup (120g) plain Lifeway Kefir, room temp
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- Raw sugar, for sprinkling on top
- Preheat the oven to 425F and line a cupcake tin with 12 paper liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, and the cinnamon). Add in blueberries and mix to distribute.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the butter, oil, eggs, Kefir, sour cream, vanilla, and almond extract.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and use a rubber spatula to stir the two together.
- Use a large ice cream scoop to distribute batter into 12 muffin tins.
- Top muffins with extra blueberries and turbinado sugar (optional but highly recommended!)
- Bake for 20 minutes and enjoy!
This recipe is a great one, and if you follow it exactly, you should end up with the perfect blueberry muffins that will wow family and friends!
Looking for more fun baking recipes? You’ll love these recipes:
Lastly, if you try these muffins make sure to comment below on my post and of course tag me on Instagram. Would love to see how they turn out!