Strawberry season is in full swing and I love incorporating fresh fruits into my desserts. I was in the mood for something seasonal and fresh so I made these cupcakes for some friends recently and they are so delightful! The cupcakes are super light and tender and they’re filled with a strawberry compote filling. I topped the cupcakes with a strawberry cream cheese frosting and they are sinful. Seriously so good. I hope you try them!
Fresh Strawberry Cupcakes
For the cupcakes
- 1 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter melted
- 3 egg whites room temperature
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt, room temperature
- 1/2 cup whole milk , warm
For the Compote
- 1/2 lb of strawberries
- 3 tbs sugar
- 1 – 2 tsp cornstarch
For the Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 oz cream cheese, room temp
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup of butter, room temp
- 1/2 cup freeze dried strawberries, finely ground
- 1 3/4 cup of powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place cupcake papers in a cupcake pan.
- Mix the flour, sugar salt, baking soda and powder into a large bowl, and whisk together.
- Separate the eggs.
- In another bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients until combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Mix until combined.
- Distribute the batter evenly into cupcake papers, filling each paper with about 2/3 the way up.
- Bake for about 18 minutes or until centers are springy to the touch.
- Meanwhile, heat strawberries, sugar and cornstarch on stove for 10-15 minutes until it breaks down. Once cupcakes are cooled, add about a 1 tsp of strawberry compote to each cupcake center.
- Cream together the cream cheese, vanilla, butter for 1-2 minutes. Add the freeze dried strawberries and slowly mix in the powdered sugar. Top the cupcakes with frosting and enjoy!
PS Looking for other cake recipe ideas?
Lastly, if you try these cupcakes make sure to comment below on my post and of course tag me on Instagram. Would love to see how they turn out!