Layers of almond cake, topped with raspberry Swiss Meringue buttercream and finished with fresh raspberries and slivered almonds.
I LOVE almond desserts of any kind. I’ve been wanting to make an almond flavored cake for awhile and am so happy with how it turned out. There are several steps to making this cake but it’s worth it! The cake is light and fluffy and the buttercream is perfectly sweet (but not too sweet!). Hope you guys enjoy!
Almond Cake with Raspberry Swiss Meringue Buttercream
Almond Cake Layers:
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- Juice of one lemon
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 cup milk (room temperature)
Swiss Meringue Buttercream
- 6 egg whites
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3 sticks of butter
- 3 tbsp freeze dried raspberries
- 1 tsp almond extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- To make the cake, whisk flour, baking powder, and almond flour in a bowl – set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar on medium high speed for 3 to 5 minutes until light and fluffy. Add in eggs one at a time on low speed. Add your extracts, lemon zest and salt. Gradually add in dry ingredients and milk (alternate and end with flour).
- Line 6 inch cake pans with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray so layers won’t stick.
- Evenly divide batter between cake pans and bake for 30 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.
To make the buttercream:
- Separate egg whites in a glass bowl and whisk in sugar.
- Set glass bowl over simmering pot of water and continuously whisk mixture for about 4 minutes (until the sugar is no longer grainy).
- Place mixture into stand mixer with whisk attachment. Beat for 10 to 15 minutes on medium high speed. Once stiff peaks have formed, switch the stand mixer to the paddle attachment.
- On medium-high speed, add the butter 1 Tablespoon at a time. Wait for the butter to fully mix in before adding the next Tablespoon.
- After all the butter has been added, turn the mixer down to medium speed and fully beat in the almond extract, dried raspberries and salt, about 30 seconds.
To assemble the cake, spread buttercream over each layer of cake and top with fresh raspberries. Continue with each layer. To finish, add slivered almonds to the bottom and top of the cake and finish with additional raspberries.
PS Looking for other cake ideas?
Lastly, if you try this cake make sure to comment below on my post and of course tag me on Instagram. Would love to see how it turns out!