This S’mores Cake is an amazing combination of moist chocolate cake, graham cracker cookie butter, marshmallow fluff, and chocolate ganache! If you’re a s’mores lover, this cake is definitely for you!
This post is sponsored by Lifeway Kefir. As always, all thoughts and opinions are 100% my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that help make Taste of Genevieve possible!
Omg I love a s’more occasion because it means it’s warm enough to sit outside but not so warm that you’d overheat near a bonfire. I’m finding it hard to believe though that it’s the end of July and August is just around the corner. Rest assured we’ve still got lots of summering to do my friends, starting with this s’mores cake.
This is a fancyish version of your classic s’mores and is going to win over your summer lovin’ heart from the very first bite. This dessert is perfect for serving at all of your summer soirees!
You only need a handful of simple ingredients to bake this cake. A few ingredients you need:
- Sugar – Granulated sugar gives this cake the perfect amount of sweetness that will keep you coming back for more!
- Cocoa Powder– For a cake that is sweet, but not too sweet, I like to use a Dutch process cocoa powder.
- Kefir – The recipe includes Kefir, which makes the cake layers moist and tender. Lifeway Kefir is a tart and tangy cultured milk smoothie that is high in protein, calcium and vitamin D.
- Eggs – Make sure your eggs are at room temperature before you begin mixing the batter.
- Espresso Powder – Enhances the chocolate flavor in the cake
- Flour – Regular all-purpose flour is all we need for delicious, fudgy cake.
This s’mores cake is not as difficult to make as you may think. Follow the tips below for a perfectly baked cake that is sure to be a hit all summer long!
Tips for Baking the Cake
Use room temperature ingredients. Make sure your butter, eggs, and Kefir are all at room temperature. Room temperature ingredients incorporate more evenly.
Do not over mix. Over mixing the batter makes for a dense cake. We want everyone to come back for a second slice so don’t be tempted to over mix the batter. Less is more, my friends!
Cool completely before frosting. No sense in spending an hour in the kitchen baking up the perfect cake only to have your frosting slide and melt over your cake.
S'mores Layer Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- 1 cup Kefir (plain)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
Graham Cracker Cookie Butter
- 12 graham crackers full sheet
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoon melted butter
- ¼ cup cream Kefir (plain)
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup softened, unsalted butter
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 ¼ cup powdered sugar
- ½ cup Dutch process cocoa powder
- ¼ cup tablespoon Kefir (plain)
- 8 ounces good semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 3 egg whites room temperature
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ¾ cup granulated white sugar
- ¼ cup +2 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line three 6 inch pans with parchment paper and grease with vegetable spray.
- Add flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt and espresso powder to a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer. Whisk through to combine or, using your paddle attachment, stir through flour mixture until combined well
- Add Kefir, vegetable oil, eggs, and vanilla to the flour mixture and mix together on medium speed until well combined. Reduce speed and carefully add boiling water to the cake batter until well combined.
- Distribute cake batter evenly between the prepared cake pans. Bake for 28 minutes, until a toothpick or cake tester inserted in the center of the chocolate cake comes out clean.
For the Graham Cracker Cookie Butter
- Add graham crackers to a food processor and pulse. Add in ¼ cup of powdered sugar and combine.
- Pour in 3 tablespoons of melted, slightly cooled butter and mix until incorporated.
- Add ¼ cup of kefir. Pulse until it is smooth and everything is fully incorporated together. Set aside.
For the Chocolate Frosting
- Mix softened butter in a stand mixer on high speed for about 3 minutes.
- Add cocoa powder and powdered sugar to the bowl.
- Add in salt and Kefir and mix until smooth.
For the Chocolate Ganache
- Cook the chocolate chips, heavy cream, and instant coffee in the top of a double boiler over simmering water.
- Stir until smooth and warm
For the Marshmallow Fluff
- Add room temperature egg whites and ½ teaspoon of cream of tartar to the bowl of a stand mixer. Whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Heat ¾ cups of sugar and ¼ cup + 2 tablespoon of water on the stove until it reaches 240 degrees on a candy thermometer.
- Slowly pour it into the egg whites with the mixer on medium low speed.
- Once it is all added turn the mixer up to the highest speed (one interval at a time) and whip the mixture until very firm peaks form.
- Once firm peaks form add in 1 teaspoon of vanilla and mix again on high speed.
Assembling the Cake
- Place a cake layer on a serving platter, fill the center with ½ of the cookie butter and top with a smooth layer of buttercream. Add another cake layer and repeat. Frost the entire cake and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Once cooled, add chocolate ganache drip. Refrigerate.
- Pipe marshmallow fluff on cake and toast with a blow torch. Voila!
I am so excited to share this s’mores cake recipe with you! Looking for more fun desserts? You’ll love these recipes:
If you make this recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment, send me a photo, rate it and don’t forget to tag me @taste_of_genevieve on Instagram. I’d love to see what’s cooking up in your kitchen. Cheers!