This post is brought to you in partnership with my friends over at Lifeway Kefir. All thoughts and opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that help make Taste of Genevieve possible.
Let me present you with the dessert I’ll be making nonstop this holiday season! My gingerbread cake! This is the perfect after dinner treat.. or even Christmas breakfast, Christmas lunch, and Christmas late night craving. It is a perfectly spiced gingerbread cake layered with a rich and velvety cream cheese frosting and topped with a molasses drip. YUM!
This Christmas I’m also making snickerdoodles, candy cane thin mints and red velvet crinkles. I think we all agree that there can never be too much dessert during the holidays! The texture of this cake is dense and ultra moist thanks to the addition of the Kefir. Lifeway Kefir is a tart and tangy cultured milk smoothie that is high in protein, calcium and vitamin D. I love using it in my baked goods as a replacement for sour cream, greek yogurt, or milk! Plus it’s healthy and delicious — what’s not to love?!
Before we begin, let’s talk about this layer cake:
- 3 layers, but can be made as, layers or as a sheet cake
- Deeply flavorful
- Extra moist
- Unapologetically rich
- Covered with cream cheese frosting
- Topped with a molasses drip
How to Make Gingerbread Cake
This is a super simple gingerbread cake recipe. You can use this batter for a sheet cake, cupcakes, bundt cake and more.
The ingredients: each ingredient contributes to the delicious flavor of the cake:
- High quality butter
- Kefir to add tang and richness
- Brown sugar to enhance the molasses flavor.
- Baking soda to give the cake lots of lift!
- Warm spices like ground ginger, ground cinnamon, and ground cloves.
- Flour, salt, and egg because it’s a cake
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 cup molasses
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups (300 g) Kefir room temperature
- 8 oz full-fat brick style cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Kefir
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease three 6-inch round pans and line the bottoms with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together butter, sugar, molasses, and vanilla. Slowly add in the eggs one at a time as well as the Kefir.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, ginger, cinnamon, salt, baking powder, and baking soda until combined.
- Mix together dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until combined.
- Divide batter evenly into prepared baking pans. Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let the cakes cool in the pans for 5 to 10 minutes before removing and cooling completely on a wire rack.
- Once cooled, make your frosting by beating butter and cream cheese in a large mixing bowl until smooth. Beat in vanilla extract and Kefir until just combined. Slowly add in powdered sugar until you reach your desired frosting consistency.
- Layer the cake together, frosting between layers as well as the top and outside of the cake.
This recipe is a great one, and if you follow it exactly, you should end up with the perfect gingerbread Cake that will wow family and friends!
Lastly, if you try this cake make sure to comment below on my post and of course tag me on Instagram. Would love to see how they turn out!